EVANSVILLE, Ind (WEHT) – The Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office and Evansville Police Department are investigating an officer-involved shooting that occurred at Stringtown and Reis around 12:45 Friday afternoon.
Police say the suspect was a violent felon wanted on federal charges. A brief pursuit with deputies ended when the suspect hit a deputy’s car and then a telephone pole at Reis.
Police say after the crash, the suspect grabbed a large machete and was waving it around. Officers set up a perimeter and ordered a woman passenger out of the car. The woman complied, and that’s when the suspect got out of the car and fired several rounds at law enforcement with a semi-automatic handgun. An officer and a deputy returned fire, killing the suspect.
One deputy is said to have very minor injuries.
(This story was originally published on November 20, 2020)
LATEST LOCAL NEWS:
- What did the 2020-2021 winter season end up looking like?
- Federal lawsuit against USI alleges discrimination due to a medical condition
- Boil advisory in Muhlenberg County due to Watermain break overnight
- South Spencer prepares for sectionals after abrupt end last year
- Cattle loose on I-64 in Gibson County, roads closed