(WALLETHUB) – With businesses such as Facebook, T-Mobile and Volkswagen experiencing data breaches this year and the number of breaches already higher than in 2020, the free credit-monitoring website WalletHub today released its report on 2021’s States Most Vulnerable to Identity Theft & Fraud.
To determine where Americans are most susceptible to such crimes, WalletHub compared the 50 states and the District of Columbia across 14 key metrics. The data set ranges from identity-theft complaints per capita to the average loss amount due to fraud.
Illinois is in the top ten, coming in at number 6 on the list. Indiana comes in at number 46 on the list, while Kentucky came in at number 44. Indiana’s vulnerable areas were recorded in the list below:
Indiana’s Vulnerability to Identity Theft & Fraud (1=Most Vulnerable; 25=Avg.):
- 30th – Identity-Theft Complaints per Capita
- 47th – Avg. Loss Amount Due to Online Identity Theft
- 42nd – Fraud & Other Complaints per Capita
- 43rd – Median Loss Amount Due to Fraud
- 18th – State Security-Freeze Laws for Minors’ Credit Reports
- 38th – Persons Arrested for Fraud per Capita