EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WEHT) – The Evansville Fire Department is ruling an apartment fire from Thursday night accidental after one resident is taken to Louisville for injuries.

Firefighters were called to a house fire in the 400 block of East Franklin Street. The fire was first reported shortly after 9 p.m. and ambulances and police were also dispatched to the scene.

When crews arrived they found the building was divided into four apartments, two on each level of the home.

EFD tells Eyewitness News a resident in one of the upstairs apartment discovered the fire and broke out a window to jump out and escape. Firefighters were trying to rescue the person when they jumped.

Firefighters confirm that one person has been injured by jumping out of the window on the second story to escape the fire. The person was immediately taken to the hospital for the fall.

That resident was first taken to Deaconess Midtown before being sent to Louisville for injuries sustained during the fall and burns.

Crews were able to extinguish the fire in 30 minutes but stayed on scene for two hours.

Investigators have ruled the fire as an accidental cooking fire.

Officials say the Red Cross responded to the scene to the family that was in the house.