EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WEHT)- Anthony Lamont Meriweather has been arrested in connection to the shooting death of his nine-month-old daughter. He is currently charged with neglect of a dependent resulting in death, a felony.
Vanderburgh County Coroner Steve Lockyear has identified the victim as nine-month-old Iowa Merriweather. Meriweather died of a single gunshot wound to the head, the death has been ruled a homicide.
According to an affidavit obtained by Eyewitness News, officers say Meriweather initially told them his daughter had been hit by a bullet from a drive-by shooting. However, a witness told police he keeps a gun in a couch at the apartment and left the room before hearing a gun shot. The witness reportedly said he saw his gun near Meriweather and took it away from him to secure it.
Eyewitness News has obtained the 911 call. Warning: graphic content
During an interview with police, Meriweather reportedly told them he found the gun and was handling it when it went off and struck his daughter in the face.
(This story was originally published on Aug. 28, 2020)
LATEST LOCAL NEWS:
- Veterans: Your free breakfast awaits at Shoney’s on Veterans Day
- Indiana’s COVID-19 hospitalizations highest since April
- Police looking for driver who flipped car
- Henderson man arrested after dropping drugs in front of police
- 15 year old boy found shot dead in Owensboro home