EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WEHT)- Anthony Lamont Meriweather has been arrested in connection to the shooting death of his nine-month-old daughter. He is currently charged with neglect of a dependent resulting in death, a felony.
Vanderburgh County Coroner Steve Lockyear has identified the victim as nine-month-old Iowa Merriweather. Meriweather died of a single gunshot wound to the head, the death has been ruled a homicide.
According to an affidavit obtained by Eyewitness News, officers say Meriweather initially told them his daughter had been hit by a bullet from a drive-by shooting. However, a witness told police he keeps a gun in a couch at the apartment and left the room before hearing a gun shot. The witness reportedly said he saw his gun near Meriweather and took it away from him to secure it.
Eyewitness News has obtained the 911 call. Warning: graphic content
During an interview with police, Meriweather reportedly told them he found the gun and was handling it when it went off and struck his daughter in the face.
(This story was originally published on Aug. 28, 2020)
LATEST LOCAL NEWS:
- Meet the candidates for Owensboro Mayor: City Commissioners Pam Smith-Wright and Larry Conder
- Meet the candidates for Owensboro Mayor: Mayor Tom Watson and Dracin Williams
- Long time Henderson buffet closing temporarily
- Man accused of killing Fairfield teenager pleads not guilty in first court appearance
- Monarch Beverage Company selling assets, laying off 56 employees