EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WEHT) – The Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office is reminding everyone to beware of porch pirates this holiday season.
Sheriff Dave Wedding said, “So called ‘porch pirates’ have struck in our county already this year and will undoubtedly continue their activity throughout the holidays. The explosion of internet based shopping has made this form of theft particularly lucrative during the weeks prior to Christmas.”
The sheriff’s office offered these tips to defend against porch pirates:
- Bring in packages as quickly as possible.
- Sign up for text based delivery notifications through your online retailer.
- Ask a neighbor to bring your packages inside if you are not home.
- Consider deterent options such as a Package Guard or a Video Doorbell.
- Join your nieghboorhood social media group on Nextdoor to better communicate with your neighbors regarding suspicious activity and recieve localized alerts from the Sheriff’s Office.
(This story was originally published on Nov. 28, 2019)