WASHINGTON D.C. (WEHT) – US Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao announced that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) will award $986 million in airport infrastructure grants for airports across the country, including Evansville Regional and Huntingburg.
“This significant investment in airport improvements in Indiana will fund construction and rehabilitation projects that will help maintain high levels of safety in U.S. aviation,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao.
The following airports will receive grants:
- Anderson Municipal/Darlington Field, $89,550 – to update the Airport Master Plan Study.
- Tri-State Steuben County, $296,000 – to remove obstructions.
- Evansville Regional, $1,980,480 – to rehabilitate a taxiway and improve the terminal building.
- Fort Wayne International, $2,779,650 – to reconstruct an apron.
- Gary/Chicago International, $587,628 – to rehabilitate a taxiway.
- Indy South Greenwood, $118,513 – to conduct an environmental study.
- Huntingburg, $6,927,088 – to extend a runway.
- Indianapolis International, $300,000 – to conduct a miscellaneous study.
- Indianapolis International, $2,091,219 – to build a taxiway.
- Kokomo Municipal, $83,700 – to rehabilitate a runway.
- White County, $220,320 – to extend a runway.
- Jasper County, $527,583 – to buy land for approaches.
- South Bend International, $2,870,269 – to rebuild a taxiway and conduct an Airport Master Plan Study.
- Terre Haute Regional, $855,000 – to build a taxiway.
- Indianapolis Executive, $1,453,500 – to extend a runway.
The following Kentucky airports will also be receiving grants:
- Lake Barkley State Park, Cadiz- $150,000 – grant funds will be used to improve the Runway 02/20 safety area.
- Bowman Field, Louisville–$562,500 – grant funds will be used to install airfield guidance signs.
- Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International–$5,538,862 – grant funds will be used to rehabilitate Taxiway S.
- Fulton Airport–$216,000 – grant funds will be used to remove obstructions.
- Rough River State Park, Falls of Rough- $300,000 – grant funds will be used to rehabilitate an aircraft parking area.
- London-Corbin Airport-Magee Field- $1,403,934–grant funds to rehabilitate Runway 06/24.
- Louisville Muhammad Ali International–$15,026,036– grant funds will be used to rehabilitate Taxiway C and reconstruct Taxiway G, rehabilitate lights for Runway 17R/35L and Runway 17L/35R and provide noise mitigation measures for public buildings and residences and acquire land for noise compatibility.
- Kyle-Oakley Field, Owensboro -$359,500 – grant funds acquire land for a protection zone for Runway 05.
- Owensboro-Daviess County Regional- $1,152,240 – grant funds will be used to rehabilitate Runway 18/36, Taxiway C and D and an aircraft parking area.
- Barkley Regional, Paducah- $2,296,605 – grant funds will be used to construct a terminal building.
- Lake Cumberland Regional, Somerset– $212,000–grant funds will be used to acquire snow removal equipment.
- Williamsburg-Whitley County, Williamsburg- $63,869 – grant funds will be used to improve airport drainage.
(This story was originally published on September 23, 2019)