(WEHT)- Honor Flight of Southern Indiana announced World War II veteran, Irene L. Midle-Blessing, died at the age of 100.
Blessing served in the U.S. Army Nurse Corp from 1943 until 1945 in England. Blessing was also a lifelong member of the American Legion and VFW. Blessing was the oldest woman veteran in Vanderburgh County.
Congressman Larry Bucshon (R-Ind.) presented her with a letter submitted into the Congressional record and a flag that was flown over the Capitol building for her birthday in November. Honor Flight says Blessing always wore red on Fridays until the troops came home, adding she was patriotic and had deep faith. Blessing participated in an Honor Flight in 2014.
A funeral service will be held 12:00 p.m., Monday, August 31, 2020 at Alexander North Chapel, 4200 Stringtown Road in Evansville. Friends may visit Monday from 10:00 a.m. until service time at the funeral home. Blessing’s funeral will also be livestreamed on Facebook.
(This story was originally published on Aug. 29, 2020)
LATEST LOCAL NEWS:
- Health officials report positive COVID-19 cases at Tell City nursing home
- Dispatch: Vehicle hits Evansville home
- State: COVID-19 outbreak reported at McLean Co. nursing home
- COVID-19 death reported in Henderson Co.
- Southern Illinois restaurants adjust to new round of restrictions