Local News

Two arrested in Birdseye murder investigation


According to affidavits released by the Dubois County Sheriff's Office, the woman accused of killing Darin Atkins on July 19, 2017 in Birdseye was involved in a love triangle with the victim.

According to authorities, the two people accused in Darin's death, Sarah Andry and Jason Atkins, had been involved romantically in the past three years.

Authorities said cell phone records with GPS locating information, Facebook Messenger records, surveillance footage from the Birdseye Library, and the Sunoco gas station helped them develop a timeline of the events which took place between July 18 and July 19.

Initially, authorities said Jason Atkins denied responsibility for the incident, citing several alibis for where he was during the time of Darin's death. Andry also made statements that she was asleep all night long on July 18 and that she had spoken with the victim before going to Jason Atkins' residence to do laundry around 8 a.m. on July 19. However, surveillance footage gathered by authorities contradicted these stories.

During an initial interview on July 19, 2017, Andry made several spontaneous utterances, according to authorities. One of those utterances was, "My god, what have I d..." according to the arrest affidavit.

In later interviews on May 24 and May 29, 2018, authorities said Jason Atkins admitted to striking Darin with a bat once. According to authorities, Jason also said that Andry struck the victim with the bat at least two times.

Original story

Two people have been arrested in connection with the murder of a Dubois County man nearly a year after he was killed.

On Monday, deputies with the Dubois County Sheriff's Office arrested Jason Atkins and Sarah Andry. Both are charged with murder and aggravated battery.

Darin Atkins was killed on July 19, 2017. According to the Dubois County Sheriff's Office, a call came from 911 around 2:00 p.m. from Darin Atkins' girlfriend, reporting someone dead in the home.

The sheriff's office has said at least 10 people are known to have been in Atkins’ home on Hart’s Gravel Road, between the time he was killed and the time the 911 call came in.  

According to NewsNow Dubois County, police have said that a considerable amount of time passed between Atkins death and the call to 911.

According to the Dubois County Coroner, Atkins died from internal bleeding in his head and multiple skull fractures caused by force from a large blunt object.

Both Jason Atkins and Sarah Andry appeared in court Tuesday morning.

More details are set to be released in a press conference at 9:00 a.m. central.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the Tri-State, follow Eyewitness News on Facebook and Twitter.

(This story was originally published on June 11, 2018)

More Stories

Video Center