VANDERBURGH CO., Ind. (WEHT)- Vanderburgh County Sheriff Dave Wedding says an inmate tried to escape from jail Saturday morning but was apprehended before leaving the campus.
Sheriff Wedding says the inmate left their cell and found a hallway with an exterior door and waited for a civilian employee to enter. The inmate then ran past the employee, who immediately alerted jail staff to the escape.
Wedding says the inmate attempted to hide on jail property but was found quickly and taken back in to custody without further incident.
The inmate was not publicly identified but authorities say the inmate will likely face an additional felony charge of escape from lawful detention.
(This story was originally published on September 19, 2020)
- WATCH LIVE: Indiana Gov. Holcomb provides COVID-19 update
- Mayor Winnecke to give update on winter sports
- Food giveaway happening Friday in Owensboro
- KSP looking for suspected bicycle thieves
- Henderson Co. High School volleyball teams in quarantine