HENDERSON, Ky (WEHT) – A local fire department has shared some fire tips for Fire Prevention Week.
The McCutchanville Fire Department posted on Facebook facts regarding fire safety for citizens to be better prepared.
Some figures the department shared include:
- 3 out of 5 home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no working smoke alarms
- Carbon Monoxide is the #1 cause of accidental poisoning in the U.S.
- 60% of consumers do not test their smoke and carbon monoxide alarms monthly
- Only 47% of people report having carbon monoxide alarms in their home
- 43% of homeowners have an escape plan
- Unattended cooking is the #1 cause of home fires
Fire Prevention Week was started to commemorate the anniversary of the Great Chicago Fire in 1871, killing 250 and leaving 100,000 homeless.