VHS releases statistics from 2019

Local News
VHS vanderburgh humane society logo

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (WEHT) – The Vanderburgh Humane Society (VHS) released its 2019 community impact report on Wednesday, saying that almost 500 more animals were taken in compared to the prior three years.

VHS said 3,428 animals were sheltered and at least 69% were from Vanderburgh County.

VHS said these numbers demonstrate that there is an animal overpopulation issue.

Of the animals sheltered, 2,458 were adopted. Of those adoptions, 202 were cats who found homes through a partnership with River Kitty Cat Café and 14 rabbits through a partnership with Pet Supplies Plus on South Green River Rd.

According to VHS, 324 animals had to be euthanized and 26 died of natural causes.

For those animals euthanized, 46% were for aggression, lack of socialization, or behavior problems. The remaining 54% were euthanized for severe health issues.

No animals were euthanized due to a lack of space.

By comparison, in 2008, 1,804 animals were euthanized.

Here are the year-by-year stats released by VHS:

2009: 1,951
2010: 1,382
2011: 1,338
2012: 1,034
2013: 780
2014: 548
2015: 458
2016: 404
2017: 295
2018: 282
2019: 324 (took in significantly more animals)

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the Tri-State, follow Eyewitness News on Facebook and Twitter.

(This story was originally published on January 29, 2019)

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories