CHICAGO, Ill. (WEHT) – The state of Illinois announced 1,527 new cases of COVID-19 on Thursday, bringing the total number of cases to 115,833. The state also announced 104 new deaths. In total, 5,186 people have died in Illinois due to COVID-19, 44% of which have been in long term care facilities.
Phase 3 of reopening will begin in Illinois on Friday as scheduled as all regions in the state are meeting the metrics required to progress.
Governor Pritzker also announced that updated guidance will be posted Thursday afternoon in regards to places of worship. Additionally, horse racing will also return in Phase 3.
If metrics continue to be met, each region of the state will be eligible to progress into Phase 4 as early as June 26th. If a surge occurs, there is a potential to stall or revert back in the phases.
Governor Pritzker also said he is still working on a plan for safely reopening schools in the fall.
(This story was originally published on May 28, 2020)
- Girls Scouts of Southwest Indiana sell nearly 270,000 boxes of cookies
- St. Joe Avenue near Meier Road in Evansville now closed for a few months
- Attorney General Merrick Garland honors Oklahoma City bombing victims on 26th anniversary
- Biden seeks GOP input, hopes to reach bipartisan agreement on infrastructure package
- Kentucky airports to receive nearly $12.9M