Ill. (WEHT) – A Clay County circuit court has ruled against Governor Pritzker’s order to stay at home, calling the action unconstitutional, Governor Pritzker announced in his coronavirus briefing on Monday.
The Governor’s office plans to appeal the ruling immediately.
Representative Darren Bailey (R-Xenia) filed the suit last week, arguing the governor had exceeded his executive authority.
“I believe that we here in America, it’s dangerous when one person takes it upon themself to make the rules for everyone else … for two solid months now, people have been sitting in either fear or concern. This is what we do here- when we see a wrong, somebody has got to step up and call it out,” Bailey said.
Clay County Circuit Court Judge Michael McHaney granted a restraining order to temporarily block the governor’s latest executive order Monday afternoon.
“Representative Darren Bailey’s decision to take to the courts to try and dismantle public health directives, designed to keep people safe is an insult to all Illinoisans who have been lost during this COVID-19 crisis and it’s a danger to millions of people who may get ill, because of his recklessness,” Pritzker said. “No one is better off because of this ruling and at worst people’s health and safety will suffer tremendously. In Illinois, and nationally, we are operating on decades of precedent in terms of how disaster proclamations work from floods to tornadoes and now a global pandemic. Disasters don’t necessarily evaporate on a 30-day timeframe. …This ruling has put the people of Illinois at risk.”
The state’s current executive order, which is slated to end on April 30, remains in place.
Monday’s ruling technically only releases Bailey from the executive order, but could open the possibility for others in the state to file a suit.
(This story was originally published on April 27, 2020)