FRANKFORT, Ky. (WEHT)- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear announced Kentucky reported its highest single-day total for COVID-19 cases, with 1,163 cases. The news comes after Beshear says he tested negative for COVID-19 and Beshear reiterated that he believes his statewide mask mandate is helping.
While he says he will not issue an executive order for schools who do not follow the state’s recommendation to wait until September 28 to offer in-person learning, Beshear says he is keeping that option open in the event of a massive outbreak. However, Beshear says he disagrees with the decision of some Catholic schools to offer in-person learning.
Beshear also responded to criticisms comparing Churchill Downs allowing some spectators for the Kentucky Derby to schools by saying it is a “false equivalency” to compare the two.
(This story was originally published on Aug. 12, 2020)
LATEST LOCAL NEWS:
- EPD investigating after home hit by car
- Alumni, faculty protest University of Evansville realignment plan
- Police presence cleared after welfare check at downtown apartment
- Teenager shot in Evansville is recovering after two surgeries, according to GoFundMe
- Huey the Baird’s Tapir at Mesker Park Zoo dies