Still waiting on your W-2 or 1099 to file your taxes?

National News

INDIANAPOLIS (WEHT) Tax day is less than six days away, so if you still don’t have your W-2 or 1099, the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) has some advice.

First, Hoosiers should contact their employer to request their W-2 or 1099 information in order to file their individual taxes for 2019. If that doesn’t work, contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) directly.

By law, all employers are required to mail W-2s or 1099s to their employees by Jan. 31. If you haven’t gotten yours yet, follow these steps:

  1. Contact the employer to request a copy of the W-2 or 1099 and ensure the employer has the correct mailing address.
  2. Call the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040 and have the following information available:
    • Name, address, Social Security number and phone number;
    • Employer’s name, address and phone number;
    • Dates employed; and
    • An estimated amount of wages paid and federal income tax withheld in 2019. In this case, amounts from a year-end or final pay stub can be used.
  3. File both your federal and state taxes by April 15th (or file for an extension).
    • Use federal Form 4852, (Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement) when filing a federal tax return and estimate wages and withholding as accurately as possible.
    • File an Indiana tax return using the information provided on the federal tax return.
    • Individuals who receive an amended W-2 or 1099 after filing returns, may need to file an amended return. More information about mended returns can be found on DOR’s website.

Need further assistance? DOR’s Customer Service team is available to help, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., EST by calling (317) 232-2240.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the
Tri-State, follow Eyewitness News on Facebook and Twitter.

(This story was originally published on March 5, 2020)

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories