Three dogs die after blue-green algae exposure

Local News

(CNN/WEHT) – Two dog owners in North Carolina are devastated after their three dogs died within hours of exposure to blue-green algae.

Melissa Martin and Denise Mintz took the dogs to a pond in Wilmington to play and swim Thursday night.

When they were back home, one of the dogs started acting strange, so they took her to an emergency animal hospital.

The other dogs started seizing and showing signs of liver failure.

All three died just after midnight Friday.

The owners want to warn other pet owners about the dangers of this toxic algae, also known as cyanobacteria.

“People need to know about this. Like I said, if we had any clue this was ever a thing they would have never come. I had no idea. And once we got to the emergency vet last night, they also weren’t sure,” said Martin.

According to Blue Cross for Pets, blue-green algae blooms can produce harmful toxins that stop a dog’s liver from functioning.

Dogs can be exposed by drinking it directly or by licking their fur.

Exposure is often fatal.

The Indiana Department of Environmental Management’s website cautions Hoosiers of possible high levels of blue-green algae at many of Indiana’s reservoirs and lakes.

Click here to view an interactive map of algae testing sites and advisories in Indiana. Click here for information on how spot the algae, report an illness, and what to do if your pet gets sick.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the tri-state, follow Eyewitness News on Facebook and Twitter.

(This story was originally published on August 12, 2019)

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories