Tapscott’s closing after 86 years in business

News

OWENSBORO, Ky. (WEHT) A long standing Owensboro business is shutting down after nearly nine decades serving customers in and outside the Tri-State.

Tapscott’s, a wholesale distributor of floral displays, will close by the end of the year.

For 86 years, Tapscott’s delivered artifical floral displays across owensboro and the country.

“It was a good place to work,” says Betty Sanders, who worked there for 33 years. “I’ve made a lot of good friends over the years.”

“About 10% of our customers are what we would call local, within driving distance. The other 90% are people that order from us via phone, via web, via mail catalog, throughout the U.S.,” says Tapscott’s President David Rosenberg.

But by the end of this 86th year in business, those deliveries will stop.

“It was upsetting,” says Reva Johnson, who has worked there for 40 years. Since the company announced their closure, their customers kept ordering from them as part of a liquidation sale, and thanking them.

“They’ve just been really thanking us for their business, and for being here and answering the phone,” Johnson says.

Rosenberg says changes in the industry and in the labor force in China, where many of those displays were made, were two reasons for closing. The company was started by the Tapscott brothers in 1933.

“I think we’re comforted knowing our reputation has been fantastic, and these situation happen not because necessarily how we’re executing, but because of dynamics overall in the marketplace,” he says.

While business is winding down, Rosenberg says orders will be filled until the end of this year. Most of the employees have jobs lined up once the business closes for good.

“We’ll more forward and make the most of it, and know that the time here was well spent,” Rosenberg says.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the
Tri-State, follow Eyewitness News on Facebook and Twitter.

(This story was originally published on October 9, 2019)

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.