FORT WORTH, Texas (ABC) – A 10-year-old girl is now fighting to live at a hospital in Fort Worth, Texas after she contracted a brain-eating amoeba while swimming near her central Texas home.
Lily Mae Avant was flown to Cook Children’s Medical Center on Tuesday after her family said she started to get a headache, had a fever, and became incoherent.
Avant is now in a medically-induced coma.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, people get infected when water with the organism enters through the nose.
The amoeba travels to the brain where it destroys brain tissue.
The fatality rate when contracting such an amoeba is more than 97%.
Avant was given an amoeba-fighting pill and has already defied the odds, surviving for six days with the infection.
(This story was originally published on September 15, 2019)