Three dead after shooting at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard

News

Update:

HONOLULU (KHON2) — Officials responded to an active shooter at the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard, at Dry Dock 2 at around 2:30 on Wednesday, Dec. 4.

Within just minutes of the incident, the base was placed on lockdown.

In a press conference held Wednesday evening, Rear Admiral Robert Chadwick said that the shooter had been identified as an active-duty U.S. Sailor assigned to the USS Columbia.

Admiral Chadwick also said that the shooter reportedly shot and injured three Department of Defense civilian workers before killing himself. Two of the three victims later died. The third victim, a 36-year-old man, is in stable condition at Queen’s Medical Center.

It is unclear if the victims were targeted.

Original Story:

HONOLULU (KHON2) — Officials are responding to an active shooter, according to the Honolulu Fire Department.

Officials received the report at 2:37 p.m. Wednesday, December 4, to the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard, near the main Nimitz gate.

“We’re concerned about the safety of everybody. So many buildings are in lockdown status right now. Our intent is to minimize area where we need to be to find what is going on and keep everybody else safe,” said Lydia Robertson of Pearl Harbor Navy Affairs.

Due to the security incident, access and gates to JBPHH are closed.

The public is advised to heavy traffic on Kamehameha and Nimitz Highway.

According to the Department of Education, Mokulele Elementary, Hickam Elementary, and Nimitz Elementary are all on lockdown.

The Honolulu Police and Fire Department, and agents have responded to the scene. NCIS is leading the investigation.

This story will be updated.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories