FRANKFORT (WEHT) – A federal judge said Gov. Andy Beshear cannot close religious schools to curb the COVID-19 pandemic. U.S. District Judge Gregory Van Tatenhove granted a preliminary injunction for 17 private schools named in a lawsuit, including Heritage Christian in Owensboro.
Beshear had ordered all schools to stop in-person learning for several weeks. Van Tatenhove said while the governor has the right to impose some restrictions, he cannot infringe protected values.
The entire order can be read below:
(This story was originally published on November 25, 2020)
LATEST LOCAL NEWS
- KY impeachment petitioner seeks to withdraw from proceeding
- Buffalo Trace Distillery reports strong visitation for 2020 despite COVID-19 setbacks
- Kentucky project to gather data needed to expand internet
- Gov. Beshear announces up to $38M available for utility assistance
- Body recovered after ATV drove into Ohio River near Cave-in-Rock