ARLINGTON, Va. (WEHT) – The U.S. Department of Labor’s Mine Safety and Health Administration reported Wednesday there were three mining-related deaths in Kentucky and one death in Illinois in 2020. Altogether, there were 29 mining fatalities in the nation.
Federal officials said 2020 was the sixth year in a row that mining fatalities were below 30. Among those fatalities, five occurred in coal mines, a historic low. Approximately 230,000 miners work across 11,500 metal/nonmetal mines in the U.S., while 64,000 work in the nation’s 1,000 coal mines.
The full report can be viewed here.
(This story was originally published on January 13, 2021)
LATEST LOCAL NEWS
- Live: Biden to sign health care orders
- US secures indictment against Oath Keeper members over plot to storm US Capitol
- ‘Immunity bubbles’? What you shouldn’t do after getting the COVID vaccine
- Michael Strahan tests positive for COVID-19, sources say
- Woman sells crochet Bernie doll for over $20,000, donates to charity