Update: Two adults, four children identified as victims of Logansport fire

logansport fire wish kevin ratermann_1543519208204.jpg.jpg


Authorities say the father of three children killed in the Logansport house fire also died that same morning several miles away.

Flora Police say Daniel Hite was found dead in Flora just hours after the fire.

Investigators said they don’t suspect Hite’s involvement in the fire.

Flora Police were called to the 800 block of Lincoln Drive just after 4:00 p.m. Wednesday. Flora is about 25 miles southwest of where the fire occurred.

Hite was found dead inside the home, but police are unsure of the cause of death. The don’t believe it’s a homicide or suicide at this time.

Hite’s three children died that same morning in the fire. Three-year-old Swayzee Hite, one-year-old Rhylie Hite, and three-month-old Marshall Hite were all killed in the home.

Their mother 25-year-old Brandi Vail was also killed while staying with her step dad Joseph Huddleston.

Huddleston and his 10-year-old daughter also died in the fire.

But Huddleston’s wife, Sheila and son, Brandon, survived.

Original Story

Indiana State Police have identified six people who died in a fire Wednesday morning in Logansport, Indiana.

ISP said 42-year-old Joseph Huddleston, 25-year-old Brandi Vail, 10-year-old Kadee Huddleston, 3-year-old Swayzee Hite, 1-year-old Rhylie Hite, and 3-month-old Marshall Hite died inside a burning home.

Two adults, 43-year-old Sheila Huddleston and 19-year-old Brandon Huddleston, escaped the fire.

Sheila is the wife of Joseph and Brandon is Joseph’s son.

Multiple fire departments battled the fire.

Cold temperatures and lack of water access meant firefighters had to truck in water from a Logansport hydrant when their tanker trucks ran dry.

After the fire was extinguished, they had to comb through the burnt-out home looking for the bodies of the deceased.

Investigators have completed an inspection of the entire home.

The cause remains under investigation but there is currently no evidence indicating it was intentionally set.

There were no functioning smoke detectors in the home.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the Tri-State, follow Eyewitness News on Facebook and Twitter.
(This story was originally published on November 29, 2018)

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories