Warrick County House Blast



Warrick County, Indiana (WEHT) – A Warrick County man survives a blast and is pulled to safety by his neighbor. David Leisring was sleeping on a chair in his living room north of Boonville when his home exploded.

Eyewitness news’ Fadia Patterson talked to a neighbor who rushed in the home to pull Leisring out. That neighbor, James Dossett was in his garage at 3:30 in the morning when he saw the house explode on Eby Road.

And Dossett didn’t have to think about what to do.

“Well I was sitting in the garage and getting ready to go inside and then next thing I know I heard some big boom and I didn’t know what happened,” Dossett says.

“Next thing I know, I heard somebody screaming for help”, he added.

Today Dossett is seeing the remains of his neighbors home in daylight. Only hours earlier he was carrying his neighbor out of a dark wreckage.

Dossett says Liesring was coherent when he rescued him.

“He was conscious; he was sitting up right and I could tell he was in pain. He was moaning and groaning I just picked him up and got him outside”, Dossett said.

“I knew that he was hurt pretty bad he was complaining about his back”, He added.

Firefighters put yellow tape around the perimeter of the home that had major structural damage. Shattered glass, bricks and other debris were scattered all around Leisring’s lawn. The living room and recliner from which he was asleep was completely exposed after the blast.

Assistant Firefighter, Steven Byers says, “He [Dossett] did sustain some injuries. He’s extremely lucky.”

The Boonville Fire Department say that they’ve never seen anything like this before and are even more surprised that someone survived the blast.

Byers added, “this is a first for me a lot of the guys on the department for 20 plus years this is a first for them. This is not something that happens very often. I’ve never seen anything like it with the amount of damage that it caused.”

At the scene of the incident Boonville Firefighters said that there was a gas buildup in the basement of the home; but they were trying to determine the source the ignited the blast.

Byers said that there was no sign of fire when the fire department arrived on the scene.

Thankfully with the help of James Dossett quick thinking, his sixty-nine year old neighbor was able to survive what the fire department is calling a freak accident.

David leisring is still in fair condition at St. Mary’s hospital this evening.

By Fadia Patterson, Reporter fpatterson@tristatehomepage.com |  FACEBOOK | TWITTER

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories